Whether you are getting ready to launch with your first branded box, or have been ordering custom printed boxes for years, it never hurts to have a refresher course on what we in the packaging industry keep an eye out for from a graphic design standpoint for flexographic printing. We love working with creative minds and graphic artists who present amazing designs on a daily basis. But we understand these designs are typically accompanied by many questions. Here is some guidance to help steer you in the right direction and possibly save some time in the process.
Fonts and Text
- Keep in mind that size matters. Small font sizes (10pt and below on most fonts) and characters run the risk of filling in during production (Example: The letter “a” becomes a circular blob of ink at small, finer fonts).
- Be open to the possibility that you may have to use an alternative font, enlarge or bolden up some lines
- Read more about Flexo-Friendly designs here
- Supply a PMS number so that we can order ink samples for your approval
- Be cautious of any color overlap
- Keep in mind colors will print differently on white than on kraft board
- Expect an exact color match from a computer screen to a corrugated mailer box
- Hesitate to ask questions! We have decades of experience and we have a good sense for what colors may print well on what surfaces, and what inks may be problematic
- Expect a shiny or glossy finish for any ink. There are coatings and varnish which can add a slight sheen or shine to ink, but the only way to get a glossy appearance is with digital printing or a litho label
- Worry, we will provide you with print proofs for your approval prior to production
- Expect a digital proof to verify the layout is accurate, and that any changes that were needed are approved prior to production
- Expect a physically printed box sample. This is not possible with high-speed equipment with long set up times.
Please Contact Us Today
As always, if you have any questions on any of our products or services, one of our branded packaging advisors is standing by to assist, with decades of experience behind them. Want to know more about custom packaging options? Please call us at 630-551-1700 or contact us via email at www.SalazarPackaging.com.